• Lake of the Woods Houseboats

Travel Tips

Traveling To Canada

Be sure to bring documents proving your citizenship. A passport is ideal, however a birth certificate or driver’s license is acceptable at the Canadian Border. All U.S. citizens will require a passport to return home to the U.S.

Canadian Citizenship and Immigration has useful information about visiting our country.

If you have any questions regarding entry into Canada, you may want to call the Immigration Officer at the Fort Frances, Ontario Port of Entry at 807-274-3655.

What You Can And Cannot Bring Into Canada

Customs Border Services has an informative website you can visit prior to your arrival.


Persons 19 years or older are allowed to bring in, duty free, either 1.5 liters of wine, 1.14 liters (40 oz) of liquor or 24 12oz. cans or bottles of beer.


up to 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars


You are allowed to bring what you will consume while you are in Canada, however, there are certain foods or goods that you cannot bring. Visit www.inspection.gc.ca for complete regulations.


Are allowed into Canada. Animals older than 3 months of age require a valid rabies certificate.


You cannot bring minnows, smelts, leeches or any other bait fish across the border. nightcrawlers are allowed but, they must be in containers with artificial bedding only.

Fishing and Hunting Licenses and Regulations Information

Licenses are sold here at our convenience store or on-line at huntandfishontario.com

A copy of current regulations can be downloaded at mnr.gov.on.ca or call the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources at 800-667-1940.


You are encouraged to pre-register your firearms. For full information on importing your firearms into Canada and receive a registration form, contact the Canadian Firearms Center at 800-731-4000 or visit cbsa-asfc.gc.ca Form CAFC909.